Saturday 28 August 2010

Hypertext Response Project

Hypertext Response Project

a) A quotation that shows the importance of place(setting) in the novel.

“Our village was so small that you came on it at once; it lacked the dignity of outskirts.” (Davis 4)


b) A quotation that shows the relationship between two characters.

“But even as I write it down I know how clear it is that what was wrong between Diana and me was that she was too much a mother to me, and as I had had one mother, and lost her, I was not in a hurry to acquire another…” (Davis 81)


c) A quotation that helps establish a metaphor explored in the novel.

“But in the years when he had great power he forgot that he had been elected by acclamation and came somehow to think of himself as a politician -- no, a statesman – with a formidable following among the voters.” (Davis 223)


d) A quotation of the novel, one passage or quotation that captures the essence, true meaning, of the novel for you.

“I’m simply trying to recover something of the totality of your life. Don’t you want to possess it as a whole – the bad with the good? I told you once you’d made a God of yourself, and the insufficiency of it forced you to become an atheist. It’s time you tried to be a human being. Then maybe something bigger than yourself will come up on your horizon.” (Davis 254)



Poem

He is Dunstan Ramsay,
Obsessed over saints.
Guilt made him crazy,
But God keeps him sane.
He has no power,
He has no women,
He has no wealth.

I had wealth,
I had women,
I had power.
Hidden within me,
The guilt had consumed me.
Money made me happy,
I was Boy Staunton.

No comments:

Post a Comment