Saturday 28 August 2010

Character Sketch - My Father

The Perfect Father

    “That Leola loved him with all her unreflecting heart there would be no possible doubt. Nothing he could do would change that” (Davis 150). This is a quote from the book Fifth Business written by Robertson Davis. The quote illustrates the strong bond of love Leola holds for her husband, Boy. Likewise, my father loves me with just as strong, if not stronger, bond of love. Through love, support, and care, my father has shaped me into the person I am today. And from the moment I was born, it was fated that he will hold a very special position in my life.

     November 23rd, 1993 marked a very important day in the lives of three people, my mother, my father and I. On this day, my father officially became Dad. I was hoped by everyone to be a boy. When my grandmother found out I was a girl, she did not even bother to visit my mother and I. But my Dad didn’t care. He loved me no matter what. Even though it is against hospital policy to visit the mother and child during rest time, he took the risk of climbing the windows to see the infant me. Since the moment I was born, I was already surrounded by love from my parents. Their love has shaped me into the loving child that I am today; it also shaped me to care about life.

    Along with love, his care for me also shaped me into the person I am today. He cared for me since the day I was born, changing my diapers and feeding me. And as I grew older, his forms of care towards me have changed, but he never stopped caring. When I was elementary school age, back in China, we lived an hour’s bike ride away from my school. My father would get up early every single morning and give me a ride on his second-hand bike to school. When ever I got off school, he is always out there, waiting for me on his bike. We were a poor family, but my father pampered me anyway he could, giving me countless rides on his shoulder and let me fall asleep on his back. His care for me has formed me into a caring individual.

    Though, as I grew older, the ways my father could care for me became less. He, like most parents, has become a supporting figure in my life, always supporting the decisions that I made. At least, he supports all the decisions I have made so far. I did not have the motivation to learn in school, as a result, for much of my school life, I’ve always been a ‘bad’ student. My mother was very displeased about that, but my father, he had always believed that I am a bright child. He had never doubted that I will achieve something good. His unchanging support for me, have encouraged me to be a better student, but more importantly, allowed me to have higher self-esteem. He has shaped me into a person who believes in themselves.


    The first man to kiss me is my father. He is also the first man to love me. Through his unyielding love, continues support, and guiding care, my Dad have shaped me into someone who believes in themselves, cares for others, and loves life. My Dad will forever hold a special position in my life, in my heart and in my soul. I cannot think of a better Dad than him.

No comments:

Post a Comment